The following statement explains our policy in relation to the personal information we will collect about you during your use of the Website.
During a visit to the Website, you may be asked to provide personal information (including your email address and name) in order to receive or use specific services. Such services include competitions, special offers, direct marketing, promotions and newsletters.
When you go to a website, the pages you see, along with a short text file called a ‘cookie’, are downloaded to your computer. This is done on a repeat visit by checking to see, and finding, the cookie left there from the last visit.
Information supplied by cookies helps us to provide all users of our websites with a better experience. It also assists us to analyse the profile and frequency of our visitors.
We may use independent measurement and research companies, to analyse non-personal information regarding the visitors to the Website on our behalf using cookies, log file data and code which is embedded on the Website. We use this type of information, as with that obtained from other cookies used on the site, to help it improve the services to our users.
What is a cookie?
A “cookie” is a small piece of information/data sent by a web server to be stored on your computer’s hard drive, so it can be read back later from that browser. A cookie is generated by a web server, which is basically the computer that operates a web site.
An example is when a browser stores your User IDs and password, so that you do not have to type them into the website on every visit. Cookies are also used to store preferences of start pages or favourite items when you visit a web page. Cookies tell a website when a user has returned and your website preferences.
How HarperCollins uses your personal information
HarperCollins uses your personal information to:
- Improve customer service;
- Give better access to products/services of interest;
- Provide customers with product updates, benefits offers and announcements.
- Understand better your needs and provide you with better service;
- Help you complete a transaction with us;
- Communicate back to you; and
- Personalise the Website for you.
- From time to time, we may use your information to contact you for market research or to provide you with marketing information and newsletters relating to our goods and services. We will always give you the opportunity to opt out of receiving such direct marketing or market research contact each time you receive a new item of information. We will not sell, rent or lease your personally identifiable information to others unless we have obtained your express permission or are required to do so by law.
We will keep a record of your details. If you sign up to our newsletters your details will not be passed on to third parties, unless:
- you have given us your express consent;
- we are obliged to do so by law (this would include police investigations).
- we need to protect customer interests (such as legal liability); or
- in unusual circumstances, such as a company merger.
How we store your personal information
We may store your personal information on our systems for as long as you use the Website. For security reasons we may additional store messaging transcript data (including message content, member names, times and dates) arising from the use of the Website.
How to find and control your cookies
For information on how to find and control your cookies see: http://www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=1
How to delete cookies
For information on how to delete cookies see: http://www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=2
How do I find out more about cookies?
For FAQs on cookies see: